|view from our meeting room|
We started off by talking about digital preservation issues. Museums have been creating lots of digital content over the past few years but have often missed planning for the preservation of this content. It was pointed out that digital preservation requires active intervention beginning at the time the digital asset was created. While it is imperative for someone at the museum to be responsible for this, based on the goals of the organization, this question of "how do we do it?" is being asked at the national level and there is much debate about the potential for preservation services and how these should be provided.
|National Arts Centre|
|memorial to First Nations veterans|
Highlights of the day include:
1. Passing notes in "class" in order to figure out dinner plans
2. Lunch time walk with Julie & Pierre in the beautiful summer weather
3. Bilingualism...there's just something so Canadian about meetings where people use English and French interchangeably
4. Quote of the day: "for it to be a conspiracy someone has to be in charge"
5. The LOCKSS Principle - lots of copies keeps stuff safe!